Is phenol safe for children?

Phenol spray is safe to use at the recommend dose for a short time. But using too much or giving it to children younger than 3-years old can be unsafe. Read the ingredients label carefully to make sure you’re not allergic to any other components of the spray.

Is throat spray safe for children?

Using a sore throat spray, such as Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray for Kids, which can be given to kids as young as age two years (most kids don’t like to use throat sprays either).

Is phenol sore throat spray safe?

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray (Phenol) is alcohol, sugar, and aspirin free, so it’s pretty safe to use. If you buy the “max” throat spray, it contains an additional medication that forms a soothing film over your throat.

What happens if we consume phenol?

Gastrointestinal. Nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhea are common symptoms after exposure to phenol by any route. Ingestion of phenol can also cause severe corrosive injury to the mouth, throat, esophagus, and stomach, with bleeding, perforation, scarring, or stricture formation as potential sequelae.

What does phenol do to skin?

Phenol has an anesthetic effect and can cause severe burns that may not be immediately painful or visible. The threshold concentration of human skin damage from phenol is 1.5%. It can cause permanent eye injury, blindness and scarring.

What helps a child’s sore throat?

Here are some ways kids can relieve sore throat pain:

  1. sip warm liquids.
  2. eat cold or frozen liquids (such as ice pops)
  3. gargle with saltwater.
  4. suck on hard candy or throat lozenges (for kids age 4 or older)
  5. take ibuprofen or acetaminophen as needed.

Is it OK to swallow phenol?

Toxicity: None to minor toxicity expected after swallowing small, taste amounts of the spray. Large amounts can cause more symptoms.

What are the side effects of Chloraseptic spray?

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray Side Effects

  • Difficulty with breathing.
  • nausea.
  • rash.
  • swelling.
  • vomiting.
  • worsening of pain, redness, swelling, or irritation in or around the mouth.

What happens if you touch phenol?

However, even minor contact can result in burns, blisters, permanent skin damage. Absorption of phenol through skin can result in phenol toxicity with symptoms including muscle weakness, tremors, loss of coordination, shock, sudden collapse, coma, convulsions, organ damage and death.

How much phenol can a child drink in a day?

The EPA (US Environmental protection agency) (2) has determined that exposure to phenol in drinking water at a concentration of 6 milligrams per litre (mg/L) for up to 10 days is not expected to cause any adverse effects in a child.

What are the side effects of exposure to phenol?

CAS No. 108-95-2. Phenol (C 6H 6O or C 6H 5OH) is a colorless to light-pink, crystalline solid with a sweet, acrid odor. Exposure to phenol may cause irritation to the skin, eyes, nose, throat, and nervous system. Some symptoms of exposure to phenol are weight loss, weakness, exhaustion, muscle aches, and pain.

Is it safe to apply phenol to skin?

Phenol is considered to be quite toxic to humans via oral exposure but studies represent chronic rather than single episode exposure (3). Solutions containing phenol should not be applied to large areas of skin or wounds since sufficient phenol may be absorbed to give rise to toxic symptoms.

Is it safe to put phenol in breastmilk?

The passage of phenol into breastmilk has not been extensively studied. However, absorption of topical products into breastmilk is restricted (1) so the limited quantity of liquid phenol applied to the nailbed during the procedure is unlikely to penetrate into breastmilk in any significant quantities.