What does potassium nitrate do for teeth?
Sodium fluoride works by making the teeth stronger and more resistant to decay caused by acid and bacteria. Potassium nitrate works by calming the nerves in the teeth.Do not use this medication in children younger than 6 years old unless directed by your doctor/dentist.
Is potassium nitrate safe for teeth?
Potassium nitrate formulations build protection over time to help desensitize nerves in tooth pulp. Build-up of potassium ions over time helps desensitize nerves in the tooth pulp, making them irresponsive to sensitivity stimuli (e.g. cold water, hot coffee, etc.)
What does sodium fluoride do in mouthwash?
SODIUM FLUORIDE (SOE dee um FLOOR ide) is a mineral rinse that strengthens tooth enamel. It is used to prevent cavities in the teeth of children.
What are the side effects of sodium fluoride?
Common and Rare Side Effects
- diarrhea. drowsiness. faintness. increased watering of the mouth.
- nausea or vomiting. shallow breathing. stomach cramps or pain.
- tremors. unusual excitement. watery eyes. weakness.
What are the dangers of potassium nitrate?
* Breathing Potassium Nitrate can irritate the nose and throat causing sneezing and coughing. * High levels can interfere with the ability of the blood to carry Oxygen causing headache, fatigue, dizziness, and a blue color to the skin and lips (methemoglobinemia).
Is potassium nitrate toxic to humans?
* Contact can cause eye and skin irritation. * Breathing Potassium Nitrate can irritate the nose and throat causing sneezing and coughing. Higher levels can cause trouble breathing, collapse and even death. * Potassium Nitrate may affect the kidneys and cause anemia.
Should you use mouthwash with fluoride?
Should I use mouthwash? Using a mouthwash that contains fluoride can help prevent tooth decay, but don’t use mouthwash (even a fluoride one) straight after brushing your teeth or it’ll wash away the concentrated fluoride in the toothpaste left on your teeth.
What is the benefit of sodium fluoride?
SODIUM FLUORIDE (SOE dee um FLOOR ide) is a mineral that strengthens tooth enamel. It helps to prevent dental decay and is also used as a fluoride supplement.